Sunday, August 8, 2010

Murder in Charles Village

It's been a long time since I've posted on my blog, and I had planned to revive with a focus on poetry. However, July 25, 2010, changed all that.

On that night, in my community of Charles Village, a young Johns Hopkins researcher, Stephen Pitcairn, was robbed and stabbed to death as he walked from Penn Station to his home in the 3000 block of St. Paul Street. Stephen was killed one block from my house. His assailants were a man and woman - both repeat offenders with long rap sheets.

Stephen's death stunned the community for its senseless violence. Stephen handed over his wallet. His attackers killed him anyway. He had been talking on his cell phone to his mother - who listened as her only son lost his life. Stephen was a gifted young man - two days shy of his 24th birthday - who had planned to become a physician. At the time of his death, he was focusing on breast cancer research.

I wrote this "Poem for Stephen Pitcairn," on behalf of the residents of Charles Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment