Sunday, May 17, 2009

FARRAH'S STORY

Farrah Fawcett and I are the same age. Farrah turned 62 in February, and I'll reach that milestone in a scant three weeks. How is it possible?

1976 seems like yesterday. That was the year Farrah and her hair wowed America in her only season on Charlie's Angels. And I returned to my speech therapy position in Maryland - after a
1 1/2 year hiatus rethinking my career choice. As I recall, no cameras covered that event.

Over the years, I've followed Farrah news in the press, and applauded her dramatic talents -remember Extremities and The Burning Bed. After all, we blondes stick together.

Tabloid news was not always flattering, but who believes that nonsense? Several years ago, Farrah gained headlines again, this time when it was announced she was suffering from anal cancer, more uncommon than other forms of the insidious disease.

Last Friday, May 15, NBC broadcast a documentary called Farrah's Story, which detailed not only Farrah's struggle, but her strength in dealing with her medical fate. I watched this program, filmed by Fawcett's close friend, Alana Stewart, and actually took some notes.

The most striking visual image in the film was when Farrah chose to reveal to the camera - and thus to millions - her mostly shaved head. She shaved off her own hair, when she began to notice it falling out, rather than allowing the cancer to take it.

I think this act - this revelation - was the bravest moment I have ever witnessed on television - ever!!!!

Our American culture is so focused on physical beauty and perfection. Witness the opulent Red Carpets, when movie stars parade their expensive faces, bodies, gowns and accessories. Hair is a vital part of the entire package.

Kate Jackson, one of the brunette Angels, admits that Farrah's Hair attained the status of another character on the show, a fourth Angel!

Early in her chemotherapy, doctors tried treatments that would allow Farrah to keep her tresses intact. As the disease progressed, the treatment plan escalated, and she lost her famous trademark. Her reaction? She covered her head with a scarf, kept her bangs, and smiled into the camera.

I so admire the courage of this woman, my peer, my fellow blonde. I hope I display a similar courage when obstacles of any sort are placed before me.

Thanks, Farrah, for your inspiration. You were never more Beautiful. Sending you Positive Energy. On my birthday, June 5, I'll toast you and the gifts you gave America, especially now, at age 62.

Here are some of Farrah's words...phrases...wistful thoughts...I won't comment...just let Farrah speak:

this illness...stranger to myself...alone inside myself...pain I have never known...

I miss my life...celebrate a good dose of joy...how much I would miss the rain...

And how are you? What are you fighting for?

Me, Shirley, the Goddess

1 comment: