Saturday, May 9, 2009

THE VISITOR

If you haven't watched the 2008 film, "The Visitor," with the amazingly understated performance of Richard Jenkins - who was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actor this year - I highly recommend this movie.

I watched it last week, and found it one of the most touching and beautifully acted films I've ever seen.

Jenkins plays Walter Vale, a middle-aged widowed professor merely going through the motions of living his boring life. Until he meets up with two illegal immigrants who tap into his hunger for connecton and adventure.

This is a movie about making change - fueled by the power of new experiences and music. It's also a tragedy about the fate of illegal immigrants in the wake of 9/11.

I love films that explore authentic human emotions. Jenkins' performance is skilled and subtle.

"The Visitor" is a poem, and that's the highest accolade I can offer a movie.

1 comment:

  1. Shirley, I saw "The Visitor" last year and agree with you when you say it's about "making change--fueled by the power of new experiences and music." The movie demonstrates the power of connections.

    ReplyDelete